the 5-4-3-2-1 technique, you will purposefully take in the details of
your surroundings using
each of your senses. Strive to notice small details that your mind
would usually tune out, such
as distant sounds, or the texture of an ordinary object.
What are 5 things you can see?
- Look for small details such as a pattern on theceiling, the way light reflects off a surface, or an object you never noticed.
What are 4 things you can feel?
- Notice the sensation of clothing on your body, the sun on your skin, or the feeling of the chair you are sitting in. Pick up an object and examine its weight, texture, and other physical qualities.
What are 3 things you can hear?
- Pay special attention to the sounds your mind has tuned out, such as a ticking clock, distant traffic, or trees blowing in the wind.
What are 2 things you can smell?
- Try to notice smells in the air around you, like an air freshener or freshly mowed grass. You may also look around for something that has a scent, such as a flower or an unlit candle.
What is 1 thing you can taste?
- Carry gum, candy, or small snacks for this step. Pop one in your mouth and focus your attention closely on the flavors.